About the Alumni Council
The Alumni Council is comprised of up to 32 members, appointed to four-year terms in classes of no more than eight, selected by the Nominations Committee and approved by the full Council.
Section 6 of the bylaws reads: The Alumni Council shall nominate the appropriate number of eligible members of the Association for Councilors each year. The annual nominations shall be made so as to achieve as nearly as possible an Alumni Council composed of 16 “At-Large” members selected on flexible criteria including, but not limited to, diversity of representation, general merit, needs and service to the College, and 16 “Era” members selected, including two members from each full decade represented in the Association (except the youngest incomplete decade).
In addition, the following are Alumni Council members:
- The National Chair of the Bowdoin Career Advisory Network;
- The National Chair of BASIC;
- The Chair of the Fund Directors;
- One faculty representative;
- Three student representatives;
- Director of Alumni Relations;
- Senior Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations;
- The President of the College, ex officio.
Terms of Office
Members serve four-year terms. The National Chairs of BASIC and Bowdoin Career Advisory Network, the Chair of the Fund Directors, and the faculty representative serve two-year terms. Student representatives hold their terms until graduation.
Alumni Council members are expected to:
- Work with Alumni Relations staff to provide executive oversight for all alumni programs;
- Identify and meet the needs of alumni in their continuing relationship with Bowdoin;
- Promote the general welfare of Bowdoin College;
- Meet with faculty, students and administrators to keep themselves informed about issues of importance to the College and its alumni;
- Attend all meetings of the Bowdoin College Alumni Council;
- Serve on committees of the Council as assigned;
- Assist the Alumni Relations office in identifying future alumni leaders and volunteers;
- Monitor, encourage and support undergraduate activities that promote alumni loyalty;
- Serve as the representative body when Bowdoin needs alumni opinion on issues as a result of Trustee, administration, or other action, and issues the Council identifies as important for the College and its graduates;
- Attend campus alumni programs when possible, including Homecoming, Commencement and Reunion Weekend;
- Attend as many Bowdoin programs in your area as possible and encourage other alumni, parents and friends to join you;
- Serve as an advocate for Bowdoin through communication with other alumni, government officials, media, and the College community;
- Promote a greater understanding for and commitment to the Common Good;
- Identify and recruit talented students through BASIC and other admissions programs
- Financially support Bowdoin with annual contributions.
We welcome nominations at any time for membership on the Alumni Council. For more information, contact Rodie Lloyd, Director of Alumni Relations, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (207) 725-3963.